Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt ★★★★★

Kevin Spacey as Jim William in front of the palatial summer home with the caption My Living in Mercer House Pisses off All the Right People
All best sellers should be this good. The author completely transported me to a Southern gem where eccentric "people flourished like hothouse plants tended by an indulgent gardener." 

Yes, starting halfway, this is a true crime/legal thriller about the many trials of Jim Williams, but even then it's woven together with the stories, and characters, of Savannah herself. 

Savannah is the star.

Playing the audio version, while reading the paperback, it was interesting to see how many names had been changed! I suppose the locals had no idea the book would be so popular it required translating into Norwegian and Japanese. That was too much infamy for a lazy realtor, lol.

Like many who have read this before me, Savannah is now a bucket list must-see-destination. A five star read of the true crime genre.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I need to read this at some point. I have so many true crime books now that I need to read and not moving very fast on any of them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost never read True Crime, it's depressing. But this was so darn good!

    ReplyDelete