Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell ★★★★★

A pen drawing of a traumatized person sitting a top a pile of books with the caption That moment when you finish a book, look around and realize that everyone is just carrying on with their lives... as though you didn't just experience emotional trauma at the hands of a paperback
“I was naked before God and I was raped." 

I'm trying to remember a book that traumatized me this much and failing. Donna Boyd has cut me deep, Stephen King has given me nightmares, Cheryl Strayed has made me cry - Mary Russell has wrung all of this from me and more. The tension was unbelievable! 

I am emotionally wrecked - drained.
 
When this was put up for Science Fiction Aficionados BOM the first thread comments were from those who had previously read it asking themselves if they had the fortitude to read it again. I thought this book couldn't be as hard to read as Cyteen.
Image of Ygritte from Game of Thones saying You know nothing Jon Snow

This book gave true horror.
I close my eyes and I can hear the screams, smell the meat and the thick perfume, and see those pitiless beautiful eyes. Dear God, I don't think I'll ever get over this modern classic. A five star book I will never read again.

No comments:

Post a Comment