Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman ★★★☆☆

The Grim Reaper in the mist with skulls around
"I didn’t know how realistic a picture they had of their future. Their lack of a future, that is." 

One SciFi classic down, one hundred to go. 

So... I loathed the first third of this book. It was all enforced rape, brutal violence, and general callousness. Almost DNF’d but I’m glad I pushed through.

The rest is speculative fiction, which I love. Little is more entertaining than a talented writer showing me the future.

And Haldeman’s future is gay. Gay, Gay, GAY!!! Lol, how did he come out of Vietnam and decided -  If we were all gay, peace would find a way.  And it only gets more homogenized from there.

Not the worst idea I’ve ever heard, and it was also for population control - as if that was easiest way. 

Haldeman’s intention could be ironic or just to show how quickly the world can change on you.

There’s a lovely ending so I’ll give it three stars overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment